Feb 14, 2006

Roasting

I'm eight minutes into a batch of Moka Kadir and it smells great.

Finished the batch, Evan was helping me cool the beans down on the balcony. This espresso blend contains three dry-processed beans; Yemeni, Sidamo and Ghimbi. Now I feel like I am an old hand with dry processed but the first time was a bit of a panic with the FTO Harar. I panicked when the roast turned out quite uneven as all roasts prior were nicely uniform. After much reading I came to understand this is natural for dry-processed.

The other thing about dry-processed that I have noticed, keeping in mind that I am a roasting-rookie, is dry-processed hangs onto its chaff more so than other types of roasted bean. So today I implemented a new technique on the back deck which consists of lightly tossing and swirling the beans in the colander rather than just swirling to cool them down. The tossing helps release extra chaff which the wind or I can blow off. Works well.

Now the beans are sitting on the granite kitchen counter which stays really cool and brings the temp down really quickly. I like to knock a couple of beans off the counter so Evan can "help dad" by scrambling around to hand me the beans.

Next its onto the El Salvador Santa Rita, I know I said I was going to roast the Guatemalan El Injerto but I got an email last night from old friends in Ottawa; apparently they read this blog once in a while. Yay, I have a single fan. Based on the email and I hope Joan doesn't mind a direct quote from the email... "When Ben was growing up, he and his mum traveled around ES picking coffee for the extra colones. There’d be groups of people from all over the country criss-crossing their ways across plantations. At the end of the day, each camp would create its own brew – I’m not sure if they’d roast the day’s picking or use what they’d brought – that consisted of coffee and all sorts of other ground seeds. What I found interesting was that no one (perhaps a financial thing) used pure coffee, and each group/region/family had its own special combination of ingredients."... so yeah, based on that and in honour of Ben, who I worked with and had a great time with in Mexico in the late 90's I am going to roast the Santa Rita.

While the beans were roasting, I was pulling a shot of the FTO Harar and a shot of Paradise Roasters Espresso Classico. The Classico (lighter roast) was quite simply… fantastic. The Harar, based on yesterday’s shot got about 19 grams, 94 degrees Celsius, finer grind and pulled 1.5 ounces in about 35 seconds. Very restricted shot and a much less citrus-like effect. I quite liked it in this fashion. Unfortunately I only have about 10 grams of the Harar roast left and will combine it with the darker roast Espresso Classico - should be interesting.

Keegan, go to sleep, riiiiggghhhhttt now, right now, right noooooowwwww, right now, right now, mmmmmm right now,,,,, riiiigghhhhttt nooooooooowww, right now. Little monkey is killin’ me, bordering on falling asleep now for over an hour.

0 comments: