Feb 18, 2007

Grapes and Tomatoes


The D200 along with this 17-55 f/2.8 lens is such a powerful tool. I love the fact that you can use it to interpret the real world as you see fit. A good example of this would be from this morning... Evan lined up some grapes from his breakfast and I decided to take some shots of it. One of these images is a tight depth of field set at f/4.0 while the other is a larger depth of field set at f/8.0. The camera distance was approx 12 inches away from the grapes. Sure the shot angle was a bit different but the tightly in focus versus softly out of focus areas are evident. Imagine f/2.8 compared to f/22. That gives you a whole lot of artistic license.


Here's another great example of how to portray the moment. One image is a more direct angle as compared to the more oblique angle. I took this about 30mins ago, the sun hitting the tomatoes as they sat on the kitchen window sill looked almost luminescent and I couldn't resist. I stood in the same spot and same distance, I simply turned and shot down the tomatoes for the second image. I know, I know, that's pretty simple stuff but this camera is teaching me to interpret the moment in quite a few different ways.

Well, that's just looking at aperture and angles, it doesn't even begin to consider exposure, white balance, ISO levels, focus points, and heights. Oh, and then there's the massive area of post shoot workflow; opening these RAW images using various software to manipulate them. But that's for another time. For now, enjoy the grapes and tomatoes. ;-)

0 comments: