Last night I did an informal study of the new camera's ability to take crisp images of a still object in poor household lighting, handheld and from a distance. I snapped off a shot of a 17yr old Tunisian silk rug I bought while traveling over there a few years ago, while sitting on the stairs going up to the bedrooms. The rug hangs on the wall and so I was shooting up at it on quite an oblique angle, I would guess 70-80 degrees. I wanted to see how the camera and lens held up to cropping the image - and I'm pleased to learn it did exceedingly well in my opinion. I'm finding the biggest limitation of this Nikon D200 and 17-55mm f/2.8 ED lens is the fool shooting with it. ;-)

Anyway, the first image above, is a crop taken from the RAW original file which was of the entire carpet and based on the extreme oblique angle I would guess at this crop being 25% of the original image. This second image is a much tighter crop and for curiosity sake I just went and measured this on the actual rug and the image is actually one inch in reality. I think the images are super crisp and I continue to be amazed at this camera's ability.

Yesterday I held in my hands the results of the painstaking research and photography software learning curve. Eight prints dry-mounted on Gatorback (a hard board) some of them were 8x12's and they looked as good as you would buy in a fine art/pro photographer's shop - in my humble opinion. I would like to take credit but a lot of it is the camera and lens, throw in some software tweaking and an averagely creative eye and wallah - art! It's hanging up in various rooms throughout the house and I'm diggin' it.

0 comments: