It's fascinating. Only because it's a newfound ability I've gained with my D200 and this 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. These two photos were shot through the kitchen window (it definitely needs cleaning), handheld and with no particular "hardcore" attempt at capturing a perfect image. When I post-processed the RAW files (.nef files if you are a talking Nikon language) I used a different sequence than I have in the past; in hindsight it wasn't the most efficient nor was it the best in terms of least-destructive. Still, the .jpg images turned out well enough to illustrate my new found joy - being able to crop and still getting immense detail.

If you click on both images you will see that they are actually two different shots, the uncropped image is simply serving as a demonstrator to show the typical coverage I was receiving at the focal length I was shooting at. Both images are the same focal length - 55mm. The red box in the uncropped image roughly highlights the area I cropped to magnify the birds. Of course the magnified image is the result. Is it just me, or is that impressive? Ok, maybe it's just me. ;-)

The files started out at RAW files, just over 16MB. When you click on either image you are looking at a .4 or .5MB .jpg image depending on which image you clicked on. If all that wasn't nerdy enough here's more bits and pieces from some of the EXIF info:

Model - NIKON D200
Lens - AF-S NIKKOR 17-55mm 1:2.8 G ED
DateTime - 2007:02:27 16:48:01
Exposure - 1/45 seconds at f/9.0
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired
FocalLength - 55.00 mm
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
ISO Setting - 100
Image Quality - RAW
White Balance - AUTO
Focus Mode - MANUAL
UserComment - (c)Shaun Taylor

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Great pictures! I'm so camera technology illiterate it's not even funny. But your shots and close-ups are very inspiring. Can I drop your blog on my list of links?

p.s. I'm glad we're not the only parents with little ones that climb in during the night:)

Shaun Taylor said...

Hi Dawn, I dropped a comment on your blog. Of course you can link to me, though I reserve the right to be inspiring only one time per month. ;-)