Apr 24, 2007

A coffee globule

Clean screen3171I pulled three shots today, while they were pulling I figured I would try to get an isolated view of the center portion of the screen hoping to show the first phase of a cone formation. As you can see in this first image to the left (showing the bottom of the basket during the pre-infusion of an ongoing shot) the depth of field is pretty tight and running left to right on a slightly angled perspective. This shows up better in the large image below where most of the basket is slightly out of focus (you can't really tell that there are some good globule formations surrounding the center focus area which are all occurring just prior to merging into a cone). The tight depth of field did manage to highlight a single isolated globule which is fairly well defined for a handheld photo.

That globule looks pretty good in my opinion and the shot played out like a classic shot from start to finish. I was pulling into the four ounce demi to once again torture myself with mediocre latte art, the shot looked good enough in the demi that I almost said screw the milk I'm in for just the espresso. I held out though and got... mediocre latte art. ;-)

Shot forming3173

Ready for the milk.

Ready for milk3179

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Some might say you've too much time on your hands and need to focus that energy into something more productive, I however, say "hey, ever try using something a little more dense, say cream as apposed to milk? Would it be easier to form leaves?" (Of course,I've no idea about coffee art)Cheers!

Shaun Taylor said...

Sorry, the cream thing is a no-go. The microfoam required to pour good latte art requires a certain amount of milk fat and the window required doesn't allow for cream. Homo is good, 2% is also OK but skim starts to get a bit dodgy. Higher than homo and the milk proteins/fat ratio makes art difficult at best.

Time on my hands. ;-)

Love it.