Dec 16, 2007

Last beer

Earlier this week I was taking a day off from riding and had sat down to watch some mixed martial arts and enjoy a delicious Oak aged Yeti Imperial Stout. I was halfway into the bottle of Yeti and getting pretty excited to watch Jens Pulver in the ring and decided that this was my last beer till after Worlds Solo in Canmore. For those of you who know me, it's what I've done before every 24 solo. With no rhyme or reason and sometimes in mid-sip I will instantly decide that this will be my last beer until after a big event. Don't shake your head or try to make sense of it, you can't and neither can I, the timing of it is completely random and it is what it is. It gets harsher, no beer also means no alcohol of any kind - I know, weird, right? I don't drink a lot of beer but I sure do like a finely crafted micro-brew (please don't offer me a Miller Lite), I also like a nice glass of quality Scotch or a decent red wine. With over seven months till my next beer this one is pretty tough in the sense of "no beer for me thanks".

So why do it? Well it helps keep my head in the game; another small sacrifice to remind me of the goals I set. It also helps me appreciate the things I take for granted.

Believe me, that first beer after a self-imposed ban tastes really, really, really good. I know you'll just shake your head but try it sometime (but not maybe seven months from your goal). C'mon, why not join my madness, put the pint glass down till July 27, 2008. You know you wanna. ;-)

4 comments:

Charley said...

Damn Bro, I don't want anything that badly!

Liam O'Connell said...

i'm not sure if im ready for that!

maybe after new years, ill go till the end of feb.

martin said...

No one is going to vote for a mayor that doesn't drink!

Shaun Taylor said...

"No one is going to vote for a mayor that doesn't drink!"

Seriously, that is some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time.