DSC_7794-water-excitementTexas is a great place to be at this time of the year. T-shirts and shorts kind of goodness. So with good weather and a closet full of shorts the boys were pumped to head on down to Oyster Park and run around like lunatics.

As you can see in this image, Keegan likes fountains, a lot. It's one of the first things you see when you get in to the park just after you cross the bridge where you can do the mandatory stop to count turtles swimming around in the river. I wonder which game the boys prefer to play, counting green coffee beans or counting green turtles?

With the water fountain objective achieved the park expands out into a fairly large area allowing for lots of running around and run they did.

While they were running I was shooting photos.

DSC_7790-pool-of-water

I took my tripod out with me to get some sharp images. This one of the little waterfall turned out really well I think. The RAW image I have is superb, allowing me to see some fantastic detail, unfortunately once I compress these files to a "website sizing" and then convert them over to .jpg file format the end result just doesn't SNAP like the original. Still, this gives you a good idea of sharpness possibilities.

The image below is another example of sharpness possibilities with a decent lens and tripod. Again the original is far better, the image you see here is well past the 50% compression mark.

DSC_7739-Water-fountain

DSC_7783-Keegans-shoeThis is a pretty funny shot with a bit of "feel for the little guy" attached to it. Keegan had just jumped over from a rock on the left and when he landed his Croc fell off and landed in the water.

He had time to realize he couldn't reach it with his stick or hand and then he got real upset as it started to float away. Luckily super-dad was there to save the helpless shoe. I chucked it back to him and as soon as he caught it the tears were gone like it had never happened.

Evan was jumping from rock to rock to try and help Keegan get the shoe but he was a bit late in getting there. Still he made it over to Keegan's rock and gave him a hug.

When I told the boys it was time to move on to our next adventure they basically gave up on the rock jumping thing and pounded through the water to reach the shoreline.

DSC_7788-water-sprintFrom the water we headed out further into the park. The boys have been to Oyster Park several times both on foot and on their bikes so it's not that new to them. They know where to go and what to do. However, on this part of the adventure Evan decided to introduce a new skillset - climbing up into trees. Now I'm not sure what kids are supposed to be capable of as they turn four but once Evan decided he was going to climb that tree he whipped up there like a starving monkey on a banana mission.

He made some pretty smart climbing moves to get to where he was going, I didn't have to suggest anything or help in any way, he just monkeyed that thing. Impressive. Eventually I had to tell him that was high enough as he wanted to keep going up, up, up. Here he is about 15 feet into the tree.

Quick, someone give him a banana.

All in all a pretty good day for the munchkins.

DSC_7756-Evan-in-tree

DSC_7798nice-leaves

And since I don't have any recent coffee related images posted up, here's a couple of decent little four ouncer's. Over the last three or four days I've been pulling Sumatra Gayo Mountain, Fazenda Cachoeira de Grama, Fazenda Impanema and Ethiopian Kochere, either single origin or blending on the fly, I can't remember what went into these latte's but I do know the results have been good.

DSC_7800tight-leaves

DSC_7877knockboxHere's a view into my espresso knockbox. It fills up pretty quickly, 40-50 espresso pucks per week. And what to do with all those spent pucks, why turn it into a fireant removal technique of course. Essentially I fill the knockbox up with 30 or more pucks then I top it off with water and let it sit a few minutes, then I head out and pour it on the fireant mound. Sometimes I dig up the mound before I do the strafing run, sometimes I don't, I'm still developing a protocol. I've been testing it out for a few weeks now and had great success. It's recycling at it's best; I'm re-using waste and it's biodegradable. I really like the part where I don't have to spend outrageous amounts of money on high-priced chemicals.

DSC_7679cropI'll leave off with an image of a small rock, about the size of a coffee bean, that I found in a batch of Sumatra Gayo Mountain beans while doing an inspection for any beans that needed to be culled. It's not unusual to find rocks in the greens from time to time. I like finding them (rather than running them through my grinder) it always reminds me of the amazing fact that the rock didn't come from down the street at the local supermarket - it's not a supermarket rock - at one time it was laying in the dirt in a field at the northernmost tip of Sumatra. Rolling that rock around in my hand helps me connect better with the impressive series of events that gets an agricultural product from a sunny mountain basin halfway around the world to my front doorstep in a 15lb USPS flat rate box. And with that final thought I raise my glass in a silent thanks to all the people that made that rocky batch a reality - from the person tending the coffee shrubs, to the pickers, the cupper, the distributor and right on through to the guy who pressed our doorbell and dropped off the box - cheers!

1 comments:

tackad said...

From those of us who check your blog daily - hope y'all are OK. We miss you and your family.