This morning I decided to teach the boys some new stuff. It was fairly complex material for a 5 and 7yr old when you consider the physicality of correct movement angles and distance closing, getting offline and redirecting the opponent, timing and follow-through.

The two concepts we spent the most time on... the time-lag response and the two states of either 'powered off' or 'powered on'. I wanted them to understand that the initiator always has the advantage based on reaction-lag, and in order to create the advantage the initiator had to move from a state of tranquility. Evan got a good handle on it, particularly on the last sequence where he lulled me with his relaxed state and then initiated so fast while I was talking (without any sign he was going to move) that he surprised me.

The improvement you see him performing in the video is real-time learning, prior to the vid he had only done the full sequence about three times.

It's fun watching Evan develop athletically. Martial arts is a tool to help him do that. I'm sure the day will come when he's teaching me stuff and that's something I look forward to.

2 comments:

John F said...

Attention school bully.....

Move along.

Just move along.....

Shaun Taylor said...

Wonder if I can hire them out for $5.00 per hour?