May 20, 2011

Thunderbirds are go

With another 24hr Solo coming up in one week's time I'm feeling good on the bike and looking forward to doing the first long race of the year. This time it's in Spokane at an event called 24 Hours Round the Clock.

I've never been on this course before so I'll be guessing at the gearing for my singlespeed setup. My primary race bike will be the Lynskey 29'er hardtail and as a backup I'm going to setup my S-Works Stumpjumper full-suspension as a singlespeed as soon as I get the singlespeed gearing for it.

The laps are approx 23kms and I've heard it's only 750' vert gain per lap with very little technical riding - which is unfortunate as I prefer elevation gain and technically demanding courses. But to make up for those missing elements, I've been assured by Scott Legere (who you can see in the link's first image), who has raced the event before, that the course is fun and flowy in a way like Mount Stromlo - except there won't be any kangaroo's or off-the-chart pressure cooker competition. Speaking of Scott, an added bonus to the event is that Scott and Lisa will be at this event. We had a great time hanging out with them in Canberra during that week leading up to Worlds and I'm really looking forward to riding again with Scott 'Nelson Tough' Legere. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up to him on the pre-ride on Friday, he's an endurance machine who whistle's the theme from Rocky while he's pre-riding. ;-)

With the taper and peak in full swing I'm starting to get a bit irritated like I usually do before big volume races. Mainly the irritation comes from being forced to reduce my riding time so my body can start banking recovery. 2hr rides feel like a blink of an eye right now and when the weather is perfect for riding I'm having to grit my teeth and stay off the bike. Tapers are irritating. ;-)

One thing that's never irritating (to me at least) is my quasi-ritual of posting up my countdown video. This was pretty much my favourite show as a kid growing up in England, c'mon who didn't want to be flying a Thunderbird back in the day. Sit back and enjoy...

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Thunderbirds are go!

1 comments:

John F said...

Rock it brother!!

It's go time.