Mar 12, 2012

1800kms later...

Day 1 had us across the border on Sunday and headed for Luke's BBQ for 5 bucks worth of BBQ beef, the boys loved it.

Lukes BBQ

A stop at the Costco in Spokane had us stocked up for snacks on the road.

Snacks at Costco

Hard to pass up a bowl of pho at Pho Van (so good).

Bowl of Pho

Pizza slices in Missoula.

Diggin their pizza slices

800kms later and the boys were cooked, I pulled over and found a cheap place to stay in Dillon, Montana.

Road trip tired

Up in the morning and they both ate their bodyweight in do it yourself hotel waffles, which made for good reading fuel and boy did they read a lot.

Lots of reading

On the way towards Salt Lake City I pulled up to a McDonalds parking lot to use their free wifi (the only good thing to come out of McDonalds) and hopped on Yelp to find a decent Mexican restaurant. Mission accomplished, you can Yelp Red Iguana II, the ratings it gets are well deserved.

A big hit

Red Iguana II

After 1000kms behind the wheel on day two I was ready to pull over so I hopped on Hotwire and grabbed a deal for a night in Cedar City, Utah at a Holiday Inn Express. Another Yelp and I found La Casa Don Miguel, another place with excellent reviews and it really was good family style cooking.

Don Miguel's in Cedar City

Tacos for the boys

Being that it's Keegan's birthday tomorrow he got to wear the restaurant b-day hat.

Almost b-day hat

Turns out this Holiday Inn has a pool so the boys got to burn off a bunch of road energy splashing around and I got to catch up on athlete files and do some forward route recon.

Tomorrow I figure we'll head towards Springdale so the boys can see Zion National Park and I can order a Whoopass Burger http://www.cafeoscars.com/menu.html and then it's on to Vegas. I just used Hotwire to book a hotel for tomorrow night, taxes in it was $32 and after clicking the 'pay now' button I learned we are staying at the Stratosphere - guess I better go find out a bit more about it. ;-)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Keegan that Grandma and Grandpa say Happy Birthday. Hope Doreen gets to spend time with you on the trip on the way back. I think it's wonderful for the fellows to have time exploring! RD