Prep for the 24hr Solo this weekend finished up on Sunday with a fun ride up to the top of Seven Summits and back. The legs felt pretty good, I didn't feel like I was working too hard and all was right in the mountain bike kingdom.

Last night I went to bed around midnight after a good day of chilling out with the boys and catching up on all kinds of admin. I went to bed at my race weight of 155lbs, that will be a key number shortly...

I woke up in the middle of the night, around 0300hrs. Typically I don't wake up in the middle of the night unless I'm sleeping in a weird place where my spidey sense are tingling. This wake up was a little different. As I moved through the fog of not really awake to almost fully awake, my tired brain was trying to process what was wrong. Suddenly it came into focus, I've got to get to the bathroom right now, and that's where I headed as quickly as I could in preparation for some explosive diarrhea. Charming.

While I was trying to figure out what was up with that, my body decided to kick it up a notch with some vomiting. Awesome. Shaking my head and brushing my teeth I crawled back into bed with no idea of how the night was going to unfold. Repeat the diarrhea and vomiting sequence about 10 separate times, right up till approx 0800hrs and you have my night in a nutshell.

After I got out of the shower I weighed myself and was a bit shocked to see 149lbs. Uugh! I had just lost 6lbs, that's 6lbs I didn't need to lose as I'm sitting at single digit fat percentages.

Dehydrated, no energy and not even able to look at food I was a bit of a mess this morning. So far today, I've eaten a piece of dry bread, an almond butter sandwich, some plain vegetables, a banana and half a mug of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Konga. The last thing I ate was the banana and it put me right on the edge of throwing up again. Good times.

I'm not showing any symptoms of a flu or cold, or anything else for that matter. Just classic food poisoning stuff.

I drove the boys to their reading club at the library this afternoon and walking half a city block almost wiped me out. I had to walk in segments; stop at the bike shop and sit, stop at the bench and sit, lean on the grocery store shopping cart and stop moving, etc. From ready to race and eager to ride a bike, to curling up in the fetal position on the couch while the boys felt my forehead and brought me glasses of water.

Keegan said it best 'Hey dad, I hope you don't pass out or die before your race', hahaha, yeah me too kid, me too.

2 comments:

John F said...

Horrendous news.

But on the bright side...

"hey Dad try not to keel over and die over there"

Pure comedy genius. :)

Shaun Taylor said...

It could be inconvenient stepping over my body. ;-)