Less than a week until the next 6hr race. It would be so nice to have a fully functioning bicep tendon, but the minor tear is still causing me a fair bit of pain and interfering with my normal training/riding. The bicep is hurting enough to wake me up throughout the night depending on what position the arm is in. Uugh.

I'm looking forward to the racing, but sadly it won't be at the level of intensity or aggressiveness that I prefer, a bit disappointing really. Still, a lot of the hammerheads from across Western Canada will be at the Salty Dog, and it will be good to be in the mix, as well as surrounded by that competitive spirit. Being around like-minded competitive racers is always energizing. And because I'm competitive, I will probably struggle with finding the right balance between keeping it sensible for my injury and throwing caution to the wind and hammering harder than I should. If anyone out there sees me racing hard, tell me to slow down!

If I can protect my bicep enough it will make for a good training race for the 24hr Solo at the end of this month.

The weather has been great for the last few days. I'm enjoying getting out with the boys, and at the same time helping them to dial in their hardtail skillsets. 99.999999% of the riders here in Rossland are riding full suspension bikes, typically with 5" of travel (or more), so hammering a singlespeed hardtail through this terrain is extremely unusual. Glad my Orbea Alma 29'er S-Team is up to the task. Hardtails are tricky on this terrain, and teaching the boys how to move a hardtail smartly down these trails is fun, and at the same time it's elevating their riding skills. I suspect they will both transition to full suspension bikes in the next 3-4yrs, and if that's the case they will be better riders for having learned how to move a bike like a scalpel, instead of a (full suspension) axe. Learning surgical movement on a bike is why I'm a fan of riders getting out and doing some BMX, or rigid or hardtail bike riding; the fundamentals of 'pumping' a bike through the terrain, choosing tight flow lines, connecting with the bike, energy transfer, etc, etc, etc... these are all great skills for any rider.

Top of Milky Way

Following on the last video, here's another one in the same theme. You know the theme, where I ride on the back of the boy's wheels giving them an endless stream of how-to's. Some day, they'll probably look back at these videos and laugh, and I'm sure that laughing will occur right about the time they are old enough, strong enough and skilled enough to be looking over their shoulders to see me struggling to keep up with them. And when that day comes, I'll be the happiest guy on that trail.

0 comments: